Tuesday, August 5, 2014

EXCERPT: FOOL'S GOLD


Chapter One


     "You’re going to do what?"
    Sarah Maxwell gazed at her cousin's mutinous expression, willing her to understand. "Rafe's reputation is in shreds since I left. I need, deep in my soul, to set things right. Please try to understand, Pipi, I have to go back."
    "Back into the lion's den." Pipi shook her head. "Listen to me, cuz. You'll be going on a fool's errand. You don't think the man will actually take you back with open arms after you deserted him on your wedding night three weeks ago do you?"
     "Rafe's housekeeper is going on a long deserved vacation. I'm all set to fill in for her at the ranch."
    "So she's the one who's been feeding you all these gloom and doom stories about him." Pipi scowled. "It could be a set up you know."
    "No, Rafe's not that devious." Sarah added sadly, "He can't even tell a decent white lie. That's how I found out that he doesn't really love me. He only married me because of my family connections."
    Pipi shook her head. "You, a housekeeper? I can't picture it."
    Sarah shrugged. "How hard can it be? You mop a few floors, open a few cans. I should even have enough spare time to finish the series of endangered species photos I was working on. It's the best work I've ever done and my editor said it could lead to some prestigious work."
    "That's just an excuse, Sarah, and you know it. You aren't responsible for ruining the cowboy any more than your mother was responsible for ruining your father. That was all our grumpy old grandfather's imagination. You can't fix the past by doing this."
    "That's not why." Sarah noted Pipi's disbelief and sighed. "Maybe that's part of it, but the plain truth is I love the hardheaded, stubborn cowboy and I can't see his life ruined..."

No comments:

Post a Comment